Turkish newspaper names 15 Saudis in case of missing reporter

Glen Norman
October 15, 2018

It comes as The New York Times reports that highly placed Turkish security sources told the publication that Khashoggi was killed within hours of entering the consulate by a special hit squad on the orders of the Saudi royal court, and that his body had been dismembered with a bone saw.

A group of people hold pictures of missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi during a demonstration in front of the Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Washington.

Saudi Arabia's crown prince and de facto ruler ordered an operation targeting journalist and U.S. resident Jamal Khashoggi, who has been missing for more than a week, The Washington Post reported Wednesday citing United States intelligence intercepts.

"I don't want to hurt jobs", he said.

"If this is true - that the Saudis lured a USA resident into their consulate and murdered him - it should represent a fundamental break in our relationship with Saudi Arabia".


Cengiz told CNN that she felt responsible for Khashoggi, and has been "in a state of deep confusion and sadness".

'We're demanding everything, ' Trump said, asked if his team was seeking information from the Saudis - longtime allies who the Trump administration has hugged closely.

The Saudis have offered no surveillance footage or evidence to corroborate their claims that Khashoggi left the consulate, and Turkish authorities have not provided evidence to show why they believe the columnist was killed there.

The statement carried by the state-run Saudi Press Agency also warned that the kingdom would respond to any steps taken against it with "greater action".

Earlier in the Oval Office, Trump told reporters he had raised Khashoggi's case with Saudi Arabia "at the highest level" and a few times in recent days. The channel said the van then drove some 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) to the consul's home, where it parked inside a garage.


Turkish sources with knowledge of the investigation told MEE they believed Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate and the Turkish authorities are considering digging up the garden to see whether his remains are buried there. Saudi Arabia has dismissed the allegations as "baseless".

Recep Tayyip Erdogan's comments appear aimed at slowly intensifying the criticism while balancing the need to maintain the kingdom's investments in Turkey and relations on other issues.

Turkey's Daily Sabah newspaper released the names of the suspects who supposedly arrived on two private jets and stayed at two hotels close to the consulate awaiting Khashoggi.

A Turkish official told the New York Times on the condition of anonymity that a team of Saudi agents killed the 59-year-old writer within two hours of his arrival at the consulate, and then dismembered his body with a bone saw they had brought for the goal.

Khashoggi left Saudi Arabia previous year saying he feared retribution for his criticism of Riyadh over the Yemen war and its crackdown on dissent, and since then wrote columns for the Washington Post. He later returned on October 2 after being promised needed paperwork so the two could get married.


Earlier US intelligence intercepts have also proved that Saudi officials were heard discussing a plan to lure Khashoggi from the US, where he resides, back to Saudi Arabia where he would be detained.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER