Girl critical after 2nd shark attack on same Australian isle Australia News

Glen Norman
September 22, 2018

She had "altered levels of consciousness and significant amount of pain", Ms Eastwick said.

A rescue helicopter which scrambled to pick her up was just 15 minutes away from the scene due to an earlier operation.

An RACQ CQ Rescue spokeswoman said the injured woman had been pulled out of the water by those on scene and was aboard a 36-foot yacht "bleeding profusely".

On Friday, a Queensland Shark Control Program contractor will deploy three shark control drumlines - a system of buoys "designed to remove larger, risky sharks from an area", according to the Fisheries spokesman.

"The original first aid was actually really well done", rescue helicopter crewman Ben McCauley said.

Both attacks occurred in Cid Harbour, a picturesque bay surrounded by beaches in a popular tourist area on the north coast of Queensland.

"She was then treated by a doctor who was on the yacht before crews arrived, where she was transferred to a smaller dinghy and then winched by the helicopter".

She is in hospital in a stable but critical condition.

Queensland Ambulance Services Manager of the Rockhampton Operations Centre Mindy Thomas said the helicopter was dispatched from Mackay and a paramedic sent from Hamilton Island.

"Fisheries is working with other agencies including the police and marine parks".

"Sharks can cover very large distances, so the chances of catching the same animal responsible for one of the attacks is very unlikely", she said.

Queensland Ambulance Services spokesperson confirmed they were called with reports a child has been bitten on the leg by a shark at 1.45pm at Cid Harbour, at Whitsunday Island.

"That's why these events are so shocking".

UPDATE, 7PM: The RACQ CQ Rescue helicopter is refuelling at Proserpine after winching a shark attack victim in the Whitsundays tonight. Her blood pressure was so low I couldn't even feel her pulse, but she was able to say a few words.

"She was very scared, cold and in shock - in and out of consciousness".

There has not been a fatal shark attack in the Sunshine State since 2014 when Daniel Smith, 18, was attacked by a tiger shark at Rudder Reef near Cape Tribulation.

RACQ CQ Rescue pilot Kevin Berry said the woman was lucky to be alive considering how much longer it would have taken for her to get help if they had not been in the area.

Chief executive Douglass Doherty, of Family Based Care Tasmania, where Mrs Barwick works, said she is an avid snorkeller and was on an annual trip to the Whitsundays.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article