Typhoon kills at least 9 in Japan

Glen Norman
September 7, 2018

Jebi became the first typhoon categorised as "very strong" by the weather agency to make landfall on Japan's main islands since 1993 when a powerful typhoon left 48 people dead or missing.

At least 10 people have reportedly died after Japan was hit by its strongest typhoon in 25 years.

Vehicles damaged by Typhoon Jebi are seen in Kobe, western Japan, in this photo taken by Kyodo September 5, 2018.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, tweeting on his official account, said the government was working to get the airport back online.

A man in his 70s died apparently after being blown to the ground from his apartment in Osaka prefecture, while a 71-year-old died when a storage unit collapsed on him, officials said.

And thousands of people have been stranded at Kansai International Airport, located on an artificial island in Osaka Bay, after flooding and damage to the bridge leading to the airport.

Kansai International Airport (KIX) has been closed - potentially indefinitely - as a powerful typhoon rips through Western Japan.

Travel agency JTB Corp. canceled tours scheduled to depart from Kansai - the country's third-busiest airport - on Wednesday, and said it would continue to monitor the situation and decide whether to restart them on Thursday or later.

Television footage showed waves pounding the coastline, sheet metal tumbling across a parking lot, cars turned on their sides, dozens of used cars on fire at an exhibition area, and a big Ferris wheel spinning around in the strong wind.

In the historical city of Kyoto - home to ancient temples and shrines - it brought down part of the ceiling of the main railway station, while in nearby Osaka, the high winds peeled scaffolding from a multistory building.

Power outages have occurred at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 following floods that have kept the airport shut since this afternoon.

Almost 800 flights were cancelled, along with scores of ferries and trains, according to Japanese media.

Popular Osaka amusement park Universal Studios Japan also remained closed Wednesday - the first time it's been closed for two consecutive days since it opened in March 2001 - as the park operator worked to fix damaged caused by the storm.

Typhoon Jebi came ashore with sustained winds of 100 miles per hour, cutting a path of destruction in and around Osaka and nearby cities that bore the brunt of the storm.

Although Japan regularly experiences storm activity, this summer has been unusually unique.

At least six people have died and 160 people have been injured since the typhoon made landfall, according to Japanese public broadcaster NHK on Tuesday.

The flooding and landslides proved so deadly in part because many people did not heed evacuation advisories, which are not mandatory.

Utilities covering Chubu and Shikoku regions said more than 169,000 homes and offices are still without power on Wednesday morning.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article