Trump reportedly promised Kim Jong Un official declaration to end Korean War

Glen Norman
August 30, 2018

The US-led Joint UN Command blocked North Korea and South Korea from carrying out a joint survey for a cross-border railway last week, Yonhap reported.

But Mattis' statement Tuesday comes as the United States and North Korea have shown little public evidence the talks have been constructive. But officials in Tokyo have acknowledged that to negotiate the return of Japanese abductees in North Korea, they can't exclusively rely on the Trump administration to lobby on Japan's behalf.

"Trump feels strongly that North Korea is under tremendous pressure from China because of our major trade disputes with the Chinese Government", the statement said. As time goes on, planners would nail down the war game scenario and other details. -South Korea war games.

The entire premise of the relations between North Korea with the USA hinges on the de-nuclearisation process but with China being the sole but solid trade partner of Pyongyang, the threat of bringing back economic sanctions could appear rather toothless, if considered at all. "Their relationship and bond remain very strong", the statement said.

"There are subjects and fields that aren't impacted by sanctions", said Kim Yong Il, North Korea's chief delegate at UNESCO in Paris, according to a previously unreported transcript of his remarks.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying responded Thursday to the latest series of tweets, calling them an "irresponsible distortion of facts and logic", Reuters reported.


In a series of tweets he also said the United States should not be spending on war games with South Korea, but if it did restart them they would be "bigger than ever".

He said decisions about next year's annual drills will be made "in consultation with State".

Trump's June decision to unilaterally suspend drills with South Korea was broadly criticised as a premature concession to Kim, who Trump wants to give up his country's nuclear weapons.

If the USA does turn these large exercises back on, have they now become provocative wargames?

"As you know, we took the step to suspend several of the largest exercises as a good-faith measure coming out of the Singapore summit", Mattis told reporters.

South Korea is budgeting 504 billion won ($450 million) next year for cross-border economic projects such as the modernisation of North Korea's roads and railways, up 46 percent from this year.


But there are no signs that the agreed-upon denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula by Chairman Kim Jung-un is underway.

Various reports and satellite image analyses indicate that work continues at North Korean nuclear and missile facilities, while moves to dismantle a missile-engine test site - a move that Kim promised Trump in Singapore - have apparently been halted.

Defense Secretary James Mattis says exercises are ongoing as Pyongyang threatens to resume missile tests; national security correspondent Jennifer Griffin reports on the fallout from the canceled USA visit to North Korea.

"China is the route to North Korea".

The disconnect between the two parties is "existential", according to Joel Wit, a former North Korea nuclear negotiator and senior fellow at the Henry L. Stimson Center.


Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER