John and Susan Cooper: Thomas Cook removes holidaymakers from Egyptian hotel

Glen Norman
August 27, 2018

Safety is always our first priority, so as a precautionary measure we have taken a decision to remove all our customers from this hotel.

But Mr Harris said he was alarmed by how quickly Thomas Cook said they had no evidence of carbon monoxide poisoning and that it would be crippling for the travel agent after the deaths of two children from carbon monoxide while on holiday with the company in 2006.

It comes after Kelly Ormerod, the daughter of John and Susan Cooper, of Burnley, Lancashire, who died while staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada, said there is "something suspicious" behind the deaths.

Thomas Cook said Thursday it had received reports of "a raised level of illness" among some of its other 300 customers at the Steigenberger.

Thomas Cook also said it will be contacting customers who are due to travel to the hotel in the next four weeks to offer "alternative holiday options".

Experts from the engineering faculty of Ganoub el-Wadi University were called in to inspect the room at the plush Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel, Egypt's public prosecutor said in a statement.


They said they were extremely ill and need help.

The statement dismissed criminal motives as being behind the deaths and said legal procedures would be underway for the transfer of the bodies upon the conclusion of the autopsy.

They had booked their trip with Thomas Cook, which was also Susan Cooper's employer.

"I watched them die before my very eyes and they had exactly the same symptoms", said Ms Ormerod.

She added: "What I want is to clear up some of what is being reported".

The Egyptian authorities insist the couple, seen in pictures as tanned, smiling and healthy-looking, have died from natural causes.


Mrs Ormerod said her 63-year-old mother, a Thomas Cook employee, was taken to hospital but died.

The "circumstances" of their deaths "are still unclear", it added.

The family had been staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada, Egypt.

Mrs Elliott told Sky News she is unsure whether her sickness was caused by food poisoning or something to do with the hotel room, such as the air conditioning.

Janette Rawlingson, 43, from Chelmsford, Essex, who arrived at the hotel with her husband and two children on Tuesday, said Thomas Cook staff told guests at a meeting samples from the restaurant and swimming pool were being tested.

But the hotel management told AFP there were "no indications to support allegations of an increased incidence of illness".


The daughter of a Burnley couple, who died on holiday in Egypt, has thanked people for their messages of love and support.

.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER