North Korea lashes out at United States diplomats over sanctions

Glen Norman
August 10, 2018

White House national security adviser John Bolton on Tuesday said U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was prepared to return to North Korea for another meeting with Kim.

A foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement on state-run KCNA that North Korea was still willing to implement a broad agreement made at the landmark June 12 summit in Singapore between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

"I can tell you we continue to have conversations virtually every day, every other day or so with the North Koreans", Heather Nauert, U.S. State Department spokeswoman, said Thursday "When I say 'conversations, ' that can be by phone, that can be my message, that can be by email".

Earlier this month, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned Russia, China and other countries against any violation of global sanctions on North Korea that could reduce pressure on the North to abandon its nuclear weapons.


The two sides vowed at that time to work towards North Korea's denuclearisation but have struggled to reach a deal to meet that goal, with the United States insisting that sanctions pressure must be maintained during negotiations.

"The firms appear to have illicitly brought it in expecting big trading margins after prices of North Korean coal had dropped due to the import ban", Roh Suk-hwan, deputy commissioner of the Korea Customs Service, told a news conference.

"We expect the Russians and all countries to abide to the U.N. Security Council resolutions and enforce sanctions on North Korea", he said.

The United States was "attempting to invent a pretext for increased sanctions against the DPRK". North Korea also accused unidentified high-level USA officials of "going against the intention of President Trump" by "making baseless allegations against us and making desperate attempts at intensifying the worldwide sanctions and pressure".


Iran dismissed a last-minute offer from Washington for talks this week, saying it could not negotiate after the Trump administration reneged on a 2015 deal to lift sanctions in return for curbs on Iran's own nuclear programme.

The newspaper added that it is "abnormal" to see distrust and animosity going on between the North and the USA even now, saying that it is time to take action toward declaring an end to the war.

Ri told Rouhani that Washington's pullout from the 2015 pact and restoration of sanctions was an "action against worldwide rules and regulations", IRNA said. And South Korea is studying ways to boost engagement with the North.

"The Americans utter handsome words when negotiating and promise a very bright future but they deliver on none of their commitments when it comes to action", Larijani said.


Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER