Thai boys rescued from flooded cave will leave hospital on Thursday

Glen Norman
July 16, 2018

The boys and their coach have been in hospital in the northern town of Chiang Rai since they were brought to safety.

Adul Sam-on, 14, delivered his in English.

Another said: 'Words can't even describe how proud this guy makes me feel to be Australian. Now I am very fine. I am very thank you for help me.

Kittanu, Michael, Cameron, Andrew, Glenn, Jo and Grace... sorry to give you so much grief!

They, eight other United Kingdom divers and Thai Navy Seals guided them out. "Thank you, Richard and thank you, Australia". "Don't worry anymore. I am safe now".

"I want to have crispy pork rice and barbecue pork rice", 15-year-old Pipat Photi said in the video.

"They realised they were way out of their depth and they had been lucky to get those guys into that last chamber with the boys and we were the only people who could remedy the situation", he told the Mail on Sunday.

"(We) don't want to blame or accuse anyone (of their ordeal).


"I am healthy", said Sompong Jaiwong, 13.

The boy had written a letter to his family while stranded in the cave, saying that he wanted to eat fried chicken.

Public Health Minister Dr. Piyasakol Sakolsattayatorn told reporters Saturday that the boys, ranging from 11 to 16 years old and their 25-year-old coach were healthy and should be discharged this week. Now, a majority of them have each gained 4 pounds since being rescued.

A team of psychiatrists was also on hand to monitor their mental health, the doctor said.

It had been suggested by some that the boys and their coach entering the caves during the rainy season was a reckless decision.

The officials released the video on Saturday, but it was filmed the previous day.

"They also thanked him and promised to be good boys", he said.

"We need to prepare both the children and their families for the attention they will receive when they come out", the health minister said.


Now, the very fortunate soccer players and their coach are recovering in hospital according to The New York Post, and are very anxious to be released next week so that they can finally indulge in their very favorite meals.

The footage of the boys from a Saturday news conference shows them still wearing surgical masks, a safeguard against infection since the last of them was pulled from a cave on Tuesday after being trapped for nearly three weeks. "We wish them a speedy recovery", they said.

The coach led the squad into the Tham Luang cave in northern Thailand on June 23 as a team-building activity.

The soccer team became trapped four kilometres in the cave after heading in as a rite of passage. The downpour sent floodwater rushing into the mouth of the cave and cut off their exit route.

They already face the pressure of rising expectations.

Upon hearing the news, numerous boys cried and wrote messages of thanks to the former Navy SEAL.

Persistent rain initially impeded efforts to locate the group.

But the lead-up to the final phase of the mission was met with tragedy when volunteer and former Navy diver Saman Kunan died on July 6 while installing oxygen tanks along the twisting passageways of the cave. Rescuers then had to work out how to get them out through the flooded tunnels. The coach was the last to be evacuated. One to two divers guided each of the boys out, using tethers, through a winding, partially submerged series of caverns and corridors.


Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER