NYSAC director likens Conor McGregor case to notorious cult leader Charles Manson

Dean Simpson
April 9, 2018

The UFC released new video of the melee at the Barclays Center that has superstar fighter Conor McGregor facing charges.

The UFC star appeared in court alongside fellow fighter Cian Cowley, who was released on a 25,000 dollar bail for the same offence.

The police have charged McGregor with three counts of assault over the incident. He's out of jail on bail and is due back in court in June.

After a series of plot twists befitting a Broadway theatre, the UFC had hoped to bring clarity to its chaotic lightweight division with Saturday's UFC 223 fight card in Brooklyn, but it will be overshadowed by the one man not on it - Conor McGregor.

Videos appearing to show the 29-year-old throwing a trolley at the bus, shattering the vehicle's window, have been circulating online.


"No ... no", White said on the program when asked if he would help Conor on this one. To his mind, it could be a year before "The Notorious" gets his life back together, and that is before one considers the prospect of potential jail time. He was also granted the freedom to return to his native country of Ireland, as the judge did not revoke his passport.

Conor Mcgregor is seen leaving the 78th Precinct in Brooklyn on April 6, 2018 in New York City.

McGregor was detained following an incident at a UFC media day in Brooklyn on Thursday.

In total, six fighters were taken off the card due to circumstances out of their control. McGregor and his pals fled the scene afterwards, but he later turned himself in.

"So much rumor and misinformation about my client, Conor McGregor", Attar wrote on Twitter on Saturday. Michael Chiesa, the fighter shown in the video above, lost valuable time to cut weight as a result of the injuries he sustained in the fracas. 'Most of the things I would rather not say, and probably can't say on TV'. "I have too many other things to think about".


TMZ reports Chiesa met with authorities twice on Thursday and eventually filed a report against McGregor.

White also claims that McGregor and company injured a security guard who happened to be working the event.

Though McGregor may want to fight as soon as possible, he's likely going to be entangled in legal proceedings for the foreseeable future. "I don't know if he's on drugs or what his deal is, but to come here and do this and to act this like, you know, you're talking about a guy who has a baby", White said.

He previously told Reuters he made an eye-watering US$140 million from last August's boxing match with Floyd Mayweather but has not fought in the Octagon since the win over Alvarez.


Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER