Robert Wagner's Story Doesn't "Add Up", Say Police

Sean Reid
February 7, 2018

On Monday, following another boost in lurid publicity about the case provided by CBS News' 48 Hours on Saturday, a team of sheriff's detectives appeared at a press conference in Los Angeles to appeal for somebody - anybody - to come forward to help them explain the case they're convinced is "suspicious" but they've been unable to solve for almost four decades.

"She looked like a victim of an assault", Los Angeles County Sheriff's Detective Ralph Hernandez said in the "48 Hours" report.

"As we've investigated the case over the last six years, I think he's more of a person of interest now", Corina told CBS of Wagner.

In an exclusive interview with Sun Online, Lana said that the actor had so far refused to speak to detectives about the case since it was reopened.

Several new witnesses have come forward since the case was reopened, including one who described hearing yelling and crashing sounds coming from the couple's stateroom, officials said.

Officials have also confirmed that the actress' drowning is being treated as "suspicious" after new witnesses came forward.


Just last week, it was announced that Wagner is now being called a person of interest by Los Angeles County Sheriff's investigators.

So far, authorities say they don't have enough evidence either way, and the only crime that hasn't had the statute of limitations expire is murder.

Corina did not explain why anyone who might know something didn't come forward in 1981 or in 2011, and whether that failure might undermine their credibility all these decades later. "When the tips all dry up, then I guess we move on to the next case".

"We have a better understanding now of what happened", Corina said.

Robert Wagner in December 2013 in Beverly Hills.

Wagner has refused to talk with investigators, but is a person of interest "because he was the last one with Natalie Wood. He told CBS: "(Wagner) changed his story a little bit.


"We'd love to hear his side of his version of events", said Corina.

In November 1981, the Oscar-nominated actress died on a yacht trip off the coast of Catalina Island, California. Wagner, now 87, was mostly known as a TV star and is still a working actor (NCIS). Wood, a three-time Academy Award nominee, was on a yacht with her then-husband Robert Wagner, fellow actor Christopher Walken and the boat's captain on the night before she was reported missing. Corina said her death is "suspicious". "I'd like to thank the witnesses that came forward and reached out to the general public who have firsthand knowledge of that night", Bergner offered.

Before becoming the subject of a Hollywood mystery, Natalie Wood was considered one of the most attractive and talented women in the world.

The death shocked Hollywood and fans of Wood, a former child star who appeared in Miracle on 34th Street at the age of 8. Wagner's publicist, Alan Nierob, has declined to comment on his behalf. After the actress was found deceased, a two-week investigation was launched and ultimately deemed the incident to be accidental.

His attorney has said he fully cooperated with investigators.


Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER