OH teens face murder charges after tossed sandbag kills man on highway

Tonya Becker
December 28, 2017

Four teenage boys will remain in an OH jail on murder charges in the death of a man struck by a sandbag thrown from an interstate overpass.

Authorities say a construction sandbag was thrown over the Indiana Avenue bridge onto Interstate 75 in Toledo on December 19, around 10 p.m. No one was injured in the second vehicle, she said.

Byrd was sitting in the passenger seat, and the driver wasn't seriously injured.

HuffPost is not identifying the defendants because they have been charged in juvenile court. He died three days later from blunt-force trauma to his head and neck, authorities said, after which the charges were upgraded against the teenagers, who had been arrested after the incident.


The suspects, who have not been identified due to their ages, are now being held without bail at the Lucas Juvenile Justice Center.

Byrd, a 22-year-old from Warren, Michigan, later died.

The four teens, ages 13 and 14, were allegedly seen leaving the area of the overpass after the incident, police said. After Byrd's death, they were charged with murder, felony vehicular vandalism and misdemeanor vehicular vandalism.

"My auntie has to bury her son".


"I would appreciate if [the boys' parents] could at least call my aunty and tell her they're sorry", Byrd's cousin, Shaveontae King, told Toledo's newspaper, The Blade. "He's gone [and] he's never coming back".

"We charged with what we thought was appropriate right now", said Lori Olender, Deputy Chief in Lucas County Prosecutor's Office, who noted that the charges still could change as her team reviews the teens' backgrounds, statements and circumstances. She said she did not wish to put Mr. Byrd's family through the court case with no chance of success.

He was rushed to a Toledo area hospital with severe head injuries, but could not be saved, CBS News reported.


Other reports by

Recent News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER